An Update: UK Bound!

I'm just going to jump in with the exciting news and then I'll go about the work of explaining our process:

My husband Jonathan has been invited to study at Cambridge University in the UK for his PhD in Christian Theology! His program begins in October of this year and is a three year program that requires we move to the UK to live and work near campus. We are quite excited about what this means for us, and we are eager to see how things will unfold.

But before we can say more about that, let me back up a little.

Jonathan and I both graduated from Nazarene Theological Seminary in 2014. In the months leading up to graduation, we talked at length about what we would like to do and it was during that time that I applied for and was accepted in the Clinical Pastoral Education program at Dallas Children's Medical Center. I have been here for nearly two years working as a chaplain in residency for the hospital's trauma services. This has been a really poignant season in my life personally and professionally and Jonathan has been so supportive every step of the way.

As I've been going through the program, Jonathan has been working for our local church and a library down the street, but his primary focus has been on his PhD preparation and applications. Through a series of conversations with trusted professors and program advisers, Jonathan was encouraged to consider Cambridge as a school to which he could apply. Long story short, he applied and got in!

We've gone through quite the range of emotions as we have processed what this means for us, and we have benefited so much from the encouragement and support of close family and friends. We have been loved by our "dream defenders" (thanks to my dear friend Brooklyn for that lingo). You are the folks in our lives who believe alongside us, and sometimes on our behalf when we have a hard time doing so for ourselves, that our dreams are possible and worth pursuing. As a planner who always has a backup plan for her backup plan, I have struggled with the unknowns of our future as we pursue this major relocation, but our loved ones have been unwavering in their support and belief in Jonathan and me.

For many weeks we have considered waiting to announce this news until we had more certainties about what it will entail, but we have had to ask ourselves, "Do we believe that God has called us to this, and if so, what does that require?" As an act of faith, we share our hopes for the future with you and ask for your support, prayerful and otherwise. We are doing our best to trust that God will provide for our needs and align our steps as we make our way across the pond, and inviting you into the process is one way we feel led to do just that. (Right here I'm tempted to say something like, "And if we don't..." but that is not the act of faith I believe God is asking of me, so I'll leave it out.)

So what next? We want you to join us for the journey! We're in the process of selling our stuff, moving in with my parents, looking for jobs in the UK, and assembling the funds we'll need to make this move. Rather than sharing our process and all the details through social media, we've created a newsletter to which you can subscribe if you would like to follow along. The newsletter will contain more specific information like Jonathan's study interests and program, specific prayer needs, our timeline, financial needs and progress, my ministerial job pursuits in the UK, occasional video updates, and whatever else we feel is important to share with you, our dream defenders. I imagine we'll send something out just a few times a month. CLICK HERE to subscribe.

Most importantly, we want to say that we are grateful for your love, kindness, and continued support. I remember at our wedding (5 years ago this month!) Jonathan gave a welcome to our guests and he said after months of considering a smaller wedding we realized, "How could we do this without all of you? It is because with you we can remember how we've been loved, and how we can commit to continuing what you've taught us. Thank you all so much for being with us." In the same way, it would be impossible for us to even consider a move like this without the lifetime of support, hard work of our families, and the belief in us that so many of you have expressed. We offer our deep appreciation, and we look forward to sharing this next chapter with you as well. Thank you all so much for being with us.

Grace and peace,
Janette and Jonathan



Comments

  1. Eeeek! I'm so excited for both of you and what this journey will hold. I will join you in praying for God's guidance and provision for this next step. Blessings to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shanon, thank you for always being one of my family's dream defenders. We love you & Bill and certainly appreciate your prayers!
      Janette

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Aimee!! Your friendship and support has always meant so much to me. Thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog today. I would love for you to leave a comment with your response!